Sunday, June 7, 2009

Slow week until this weekend

I've been busy with baby ear infections this week, so shopping has been on the back burner - However, I did get a great deal on diapers this morning, and got a really nice high chair for the kiddos yesterday. Here's what I did.

I went to CVS

I bought
1 Jumbo pack Pampers diapers for $8.99, used a $1/1 coupon from this morning's paper, and got back $5 ECB's (think of that like CVS cash back).
paid $8.65

Then, I bought
1 Jumbo pack Pampers diapers
1 Gillette fusion razor for 7.99, used a $4/1 coupon from this morning paper
1 Special K cereal for $4.49, used a $1/1 coupon from this morning paper
1 Frosted Mini Wheats cereal for Free (B1G1 promo), used a $1/1 coupon from this morning paper
and used the $5 ECB from the first transaction
paid $11.21 got back a $4 ECB from the razor and a $5 ECB from the diapers

Finally, I bought
1 Jumbo pack Pampers diapers
1 Frosted Flakes cereal for $5.19, used a $1/1 coupon from this morning's paper
1 Frosted Mini Wheats cereal for Free
Used $4 ECB and $5 ECB from last transaction
paid $4.18

Looking back, I should have mix and matched the cereals differently so I could've saved more since the Mini-wheats were priced at $4.39, the Frosted Flakes at $5.19, and the Special K at 4.49. It really would have only made a $.10 difference, but it could've been more.

Lets talk about inflated prices, shall we? I never would pay $4 for a box of cereal, much less $5.19. Really, I only pay $1 - $1.50 per box.
I would never pay $11.99 for a box of 36 diapers ($.33/diaper), much less the sale price of $8.99/36 diapers ($.25/diaper). I usually pay less than $.20/diaper - $.15 if I can help it.
I do not (nor does my husband) want or need a new razor - so I wouldn't pay $9.99 for a new one, or the sale price of $7.99. I would take one for free though. I can give it to charity.

Lets figure out how much I realistically saved then:
Total I would be willing to pay:
$16.20 to $21.60 for Diapers: 3 packs of 36 = 108 diapers; ideal price $.15/diaper (108 * $.15 = $16.20 (low end), 108*$.20=$21.60 (high end))

$0 for razor: since I don't need one, I would not regularly buy one.

$4 to $6 for cereal: 4 boxes; ideal price $1 to $1.50/box

Total I'd be willing to frugally spend
between $20.20 and $27.60 for this amount of diapers and cereal.

Total I spent:
$8.65+11.21+4.18 = $24.04

So, I landed in my preset perameters for spending. (whew!) And, I have $5 in ECB's to spend next week, as well as a razor for charity.

Praise God!

My dear In-laws want to buy the babies some high chairs, we were able to get one of the ones they recommended from Target at $20 below the price we had budgeted for it! My sweet FIL (father in law) researched high chairs and we decided the two we liked the most were The cozy dinette and the Costco 3 in 1 high chair. Each were priced at $99 - so he sent us a check for 2 $99 high chairs. We were able to get the cozy dinette chair in mulberry at target for $79! I'm excited.

We'll try it out and see if we like it enough to get the blue one at Wal-mart for $99. I hope we like it so I can give back some of the $$. That would be so cool.

Yay! my sister just came over and gave me her CVS card so I can go buy some more of those diapers. Woo hoo! Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment