Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Compassion Question

The Lord has been teaching our family a lot about how we are supposed to exercise compassion with our neighbors. Jesus said the most important thing was for us to love the Lord our God with all our heart soul mind and strength, and to love our neighbor as ourselves. My question is: **when can you stop being compassionate and still be in Christ?** I am really feeling taken advantage of by a few of our neighbors that we are practicing compassion with.

I know I'm stressed about the actions of people who are going through A LOT. Consequently, they are not keeping their word, which is disappointing to say the least. I am also cognizant of my own failings and grace given me by the LORD. I know there have been times I haven't kept my word, and people have practiced compassion with me. I guess my real question is about boundaries with these relationships.

How can i exercise boundaries without seeming uncompassionate? Maybe this is the maternal instinct in me - just trying to take care of everyone. Maybe that is what has made me so willing to keep giving and giving until I've reached this point. My mom was sort of a martyr. She always gave of herself, even to the detriment of her health. I'd like to prevent the "to the detriment of my health" thing.

Advice appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment